How Does Your Garden Grow?

Monday, June 4, 2012

Last fall I decided that in the spring I was going to plant the beginning of a vegetable garden.  I contacted several seed companies, requested their catalogs and e-mails.  I was ready to dig in (no pun intended) and find out what would be best to start with since it would have to be a raised garden.

Our house is 100 years old with a double lot.  Years ago there was (according to neighbors) a beautiful in ground pool on that lot.  The people before us had a son who liked to roller blade, so they filled in the pool and put a large cement pad in its place so he could skate.  We call it our "cement pond."

It's  on our cement pond that I thought would be the perfect place for a raised garden.  As the months of fall turned into winter, the seed magazines started rolling in.  I would glance at them and put them on the shelf.  Winter turned into spring (where does the time go?) with not one veggie planted or one catalog even looked at in a serious what do I plant way.

My first tendency was to be totally upset with myself, I was disappointed that I had not even taken the time to plan a garden let alone plant one.  At times my ideas are bigger then the time frame.  It wasn't that I was sitting around doing nothing, but I was very unrealistic in what my priorities would be.

Life can be overwhelming, so many things to do, not enough hours in the day.  It's like those spinning plates on the stick, trying to keep them spinning so they won't fall.Or if you've ever watched a hamster running on his wheel, he goes really fast but never gets anywhere.  Ever feel like that?

That's what happens when we put unrealistic schedules in our everyday lives.  We run from one place to the next, always in a hurry to get what needs to be done, people where they need to go, responsibilities taken care of....running, running, running...never getting anywhere.

Life is like a garden, to have balance it needs time, some planning with realistic goals and schedules.  The people in our lives need to be nurtured and cared for with OUR time.  Like my raised garden without planning you get an empty cement pond with stacks of useless catalogs.

Don't let your life speed out of control..take some time to appreciate the people and things around you.

Psalm 46:10  Be still, and know that I am God.

Have a wonderful and peaceful week! :)

Linda

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Women Encouraged

Find us on Facebook

About This Blog

Women Encouraged founder and director, Linda Huffman believes in doing all she can to help women be all they can be - physically, emotionally and spiritually. WE strives to do that by helping women recognize their strengths, conquer their weaknesses, bring balance in all areas of their lives and promote confidence in who they are, which gives them the courage to reach for those desires in their hearts that seem impossible.

A Shepherd Looks At Psalm 23

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0310291429/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0310291429&linkCode=as2&tag=womenencou04-20

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP