Do Hummingbirds Hum ?

Monday, May 21, 2012

The other day I was standing on my patio, when something swooped down at a high rate of speed just missing my head.  After regaining my composure( bet the neighbors got a laugh)  I determined it was a hummingbird.  A couple of years ago I had planted a butterfly bush in my garden, around July it is the landing point for every butterfly in the neighborhood.  Gorgeous!!

What I didn't know is that hummingbirds like it too.  What fun they are to watch, especially since I haven't seen that many.

Here are a few fun facts about hummingbirds:

Hummingbirds are the tiniest birds in the world.

They can flash their bright colors as well as hide them when needed.

They are very smart, they can remember every flower they have been to , and how long it will take the flower to refill.

They can hear better then humans, and see farther then humans.

They have little sense of smell.

They use their tongue to lap up nectar, its shaped like a "W", it has tiny hairs on the end to help lap up the nectar.

Their heart beats up to 1,260 times per minute.

Their metabolism is roughly 100 times that of an elephant.

They have very weak feet and can barely walk.  They prefer to fly, and they like to perch.

They can fly both forwards and backwards, even upside down.

Their average rate of speed is 25-30 miles per hour and can dive up to 60 miles per  hour.

Their wings rotate in full circle.

Some will travel over 2,000 miles twice a year during migration.

Thinking about this tiny bird and all of its out of the ordinary  accomplishments, I thought how many creatures there are in this world.  Some I still don't know exist. If you have ever watched Animal Planets shows on underwater creatures you know what I mean when I say there are things down there I could not imagine. How creative and wondrous God is!

Genesis 1:1  In the beginning God created the heavens

Genesis 1:21  God created the great creatures of the sea

Psalm 148:5  For He commanded and they were created

Genesis 1:27  God created man in His own image

Of all that God created, He made us in His own image.  What a testimony of His love for us.  Not only did He create us, but He died for us.  We are the only thing He created that has a choice to spend eternity with Him.  When I look around at all He created I am humbled that He loves me with an unconditional love.  Amazing!!!

Psalm 139:4  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful I know that full well.

By the way, the answer to the question do hummingbirds hum....is NO..their wings flap so fast, they make a noise that sounds like humming.  Although I am almost sure I heard tiny laughing as that one barely missed me. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Women Encouraged

Find us on Facebook

About This Blog

Women Encouraged founder and director, Linda Huffman believes in doing all she can to help women be all they can be - physically, emotionally and spiritually. WE strives to do that by helping women recognize their strengths, conquer their weaknesses, bring balance in all areas of their lives and promote confidence in who they are, which gives them the courage to reach for those desires in their hearts that seem impossible.

A Shepherd Looks At Psalm 23

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0310291429/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0310291429&linkCode=as2&tag=womenencou04-20

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP